Twitter

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

By the numbers

So I woke up this morning and checked my email and lo! and behold, someone bought a Monster Mini in the middle of the night.  As I was pondering the 2:15am timestamp on the order, I got to thinking, 'I wonder how many of my customers shop in the middle of the night?'  I mean, it could be a lot, considering that most of my customers are ordering items off of the Geekery catagory on Etsy.  And geeks are well known for their eccentric hours.

But it could also be important for me to have a better handle on my
 customers habits, so that I can tailor the timing of my listings to come up when they're shopping.

So, I started pulling data down and organizing it.  I pulled out the time of day and also the day of week from all of my orders for the past six months.  You can see the charts that I was able to create below.  (spreadsheets are excellent!)

You can see a couple things from these charts.  First, about a third of my sales come on the weekend (33%), and more than a third come when customers are at home in the evening, from about 5:30pm til 10pm.  Tuesdays and afternoons at work are also good times.  Mornings and the end of the week are slow.

I think that this is pretty interesting, but it's only a few months of data.  There are a few big gaps in sales (end of December and when my store was getting started), that might skew my data.  I'll keep an eye on it for a while and see if there are any shifts.

But I'll also try to do more listings on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings when my customers are in a buying mood.  :-)

No comments: