Twitter

Monday, September 15, 2008

Is a Trade the Same as a Sale?

Last week was a (relatively) busy week for me, -- as I "sold" three purses. 









Well, let me qualify that.  I traded three purses for five pairs of earrings and a wire sculpture jewelry hanger.  All of which are very cool, and I'm really pleased with my "purchases".  

  

It was a fairly painless process.  Generally I'm a bad haggler, but I have to admit, trading with Etsians seems very civilized and respectful.  Each of the trades did require a lot of negotiation and time.  There were several messages with the other person, to agree on a price for the items being transacted.  In one case, I sewed a custom bag in exchange for a custom set of earrings.  This customization step meant even more messages as we compared fabric swatches and pieces of glass.  But it was all very pleasant and inoffensive.

I still have anxiety about customer satisfaction.  I try to take accurate, yet flattering photographs of my bags.  I worry though, that a customer will have a misconception about the style, or the size or the color.  Something that I didn't document well enough.  It's like Christmas morning -- with a roomful of strangers.  I am hoping for an expression of pleasure, and fearing the expression of disappointment.  

It's easier, I think, to sell something in a bricks and mortar store.  At least then the customer gets to touch the fabric, test the seams and feel some security about an item's construction.  Perhaps this is my hang-up anyway.

But at the end of the week, I feel ambivalent.  I don't feel like the trades were real sales, even though I feel like the stuff I got was really purchased.

I think that this is because money is the only objective measure that we have for value anymore.  Hundreds of years ago, a person could feel comfortable trading 24 chickens for one hog, or paying eight cows for a dowry.  Nowadays, though, we only have currency.  How valuable is a doctor's time?  Oh, its worth about $60-$100 an hour.  How valuable is a waitress' time?  Usually between $10 and $15 an hour.  Thus we conclude, a doctors time is ten times more valuable than a waitress'.

But in a barter society, these valuations are not so straightforward.  How much is a purse worth?  Two or three pairs of earrings?  What kind of earrings are those?  When is a bag worth two pair of earrings and when is it worth three?  Does it depend on the bag, or the earrings?  Ugh, I just can't do this math.

In many ways, a trade is the same as a sale.  There is an exchange of good and services.  And I get pleasure from knowing that someone in NJ, or CA, or FL is using and enjoying an ArtsiBitsi bag.  But in some important ways, a sale is better (if only a little) than a trade. 

No comments: