Twitter

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kiva.org

I've been meaning to do this for months. I finally did it today.  I made my first micro-loan through Kiva.org.  

Kiva - loans that change lives


I'm really excited about this because I've been looking for some way to make my Etsy shop less about me and my ego.  So I've decided to use all my paypal funds to make loans to women-owned businesses in developing countries.  The loans can be really small -- as little as $25 -- which is good because I don't have very much in my paypal account yet.

I made my first loan today, to a vegetable seller in Nepal that wants to expand her business. I feel really good about it, because Kiva partners with local microlending organizations that screen the entrepreneurs and help them repay their loans.  And studies have shown that loans help the poor much more than handouts.  

Anyway, I hope that you will take a look at Kiva.org today.  And if you want to expand your lending power, let me know.  I'd like to form a lending team.


No comments: